UN box test (fibreboard, steel or plastic)

impact are accredited to provide UN box test approvals for boxes (fibreboard, metallic, plastic) at our Scottish based facility.

UN box test


Boxes are one of the most common packages used to transport goods around the world.  Any box which transports a dangerous good should be contained in a UN approved box.

impact have years of experience in testing UN approved boxes, and are accredited by the VCA-DGO to offer the UN approval testing.

We can take care of the whole process of certifying your box and inners and have experience in setting up deviation procedures with the VCA for innovative packaging solutions.  We also offer regular re-validation (required every 5 years by the VCA) and can advise on the most likely failures before they occur.

UN box testing – what we need

A standard UN box test can be carried out on 9 different boxes.  These boxes must come from the same batch and be identical in design and material to that of intended manufacture.  You also need to provide the closure method and material (for example – the tape which you supply with the boxes)

In addition to the boxes, we will need to know the material they are intended to carry.  In some cases we will require you to fill them with actual product, if there is no suitable placebo.  If they box contains inner packaging then these need to either be certified separately, or tested with the box.  Finally we require a specification form which will form part of your certificate.

UN box 2 - Cardboard boxes stack
UN box - Cardboard boxes stack

how it works

impact intend to make the UN approval system easy to navigate, and we can help handle all aspects of the process.

Once you have built your prototype boxes, these should be sent to impact for the un approval testing to being.  We can either proceed directly to a full test, or, if you are still in the design stage, subject them to varying conditions to allow you to judge the future design.

After the full UN testing, if no failures have occurred, impact will provide a report to the VCA-DGO (Vehicle certification agency – dangerous goods office) who administer the UN marking scheme in the UK.  The VCA take 3 weeks to process a new application and will contact you directly for payment of application fees in order to issue the certificate.