careers at Impact
Position: Materials Scientist
Who are Impact
Impact Solutions is an independent materials testing and innovative problem solving provider. Our dynamic team are flexible and adaptable in using their diverse range of knowledge and skills to offer bespoke solutions. Whether you need product or material testing, to develop an idea into something tangible or want to know more about recycled material, Impact Solutions can offer you a 360º service.
We believe everyone has the right to THRIVE and not just survive at work. If you are looking for that pivotal change in your career, you are looking at the right place. At Impact Solutions, problem solving and innovation is in our DNA. We honour individuals who are forward thinking and seek for an opportunity at every challenge that they come across. Impact Solution are a proud UKAS 17025 accredited laboratories but we also expand into non-accredited and innovations work. We have a fast-growing and a vibrant work environment, ideal for someone who strive on being agile and cherish leadership. Impact Solutions WILL continue to grow, this is where we need an experienced Research Specialist who values quality and problem-solving.
No day at Impact is the same. You will work on a number of privately funded projects and provide project management, technical guidance and direction to project and laboratory staff.
You will provide help in undertaking material tests, interpretation of standards, project setup and running innovation research projects. At times you will be working independently on a small project where you will have total control, and at other times as part of a team working on larger projects, and therefore you should be a confident self starter.
You will also at times be customer facing and therefore a blend of academic and commercial knowledge will be highly valued. Throughout your time with Impact you will have the opportunity to learn about a broad range of polymers and materials and training and support will be provided to help you reach your personal goals.
Impact actively encourage innovation among our staff, and offer additional bonus’ for successful innovations.
You will have an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a relevant subject. We are happy to consider candidates from a variety of backgrounds, for example, chemistry, physics, mathematics, (etc) who have an interest in/understanding of materials. A can-do attitude is a must.
Skills / Experience
- Technical experience in any field
- Good team working skills and effective delegation skills
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong use of initiative and ability to act proactively, in order to capitalise on opportunities
- Established project management skills
- Good self management ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Strong personal values in customer service, quality and commercial awareness
- Knowledge and/or experience of participating in technical programmes
- Basic understanding of the circular economy and the challenges facing the plastic industry
- Knowledge/understanding of the physical testing of plastic
- Knowledge and/or experience of working in an ISO17025 laboratory or knowledge of UKAS accreditation
- An existing network within the manufacturing, recycling, environmental, scientific or academic communities
The successful candidate will benefit from flexible working hours, Monday to Friday, a competitive salary with up to a 15% annual bonus, 34.5 days of holiday per year and a friendly, fast paced, working environment. The company is currently based in Grangemouth but will be moving to larger premises nearer Edinburgh in the next 6 – 12 months in order to support our expansion.
As the company is growing fast there is numerous opportunites for career progression whether that be on a technical or commercial side.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £18,500.00-£22,500.00 per year
- Bonus scheme
- Bike to work scheme
- Company events
- Company pension
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Sick pay
- Monday to Friday
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
Interested? Apply here.